As a powerful disinfectant, thyme is among the most effective herbal cold remedies.
Thyme grows wild all over our land here in Catalunya. It is also a very useful addition for your kitchen garden, as it is an aromatic herb used a lot in Mediterranean and European cuisine. Thyme grows well in dry and stony soils, so ideal for most Mediterranean terrains.
SOPA DE TOMILLO, HUEVO POCHÉ Y CRUJIENTE DE QUESO IDIAZÁBAL
Thyme soup, poached quail egg and Idiazábal cheese tuile
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 300 gr of onions
- 500 ml of chicken stock
- 1 slice of farm house bread
- a small bunch of thyme
- 100 gr of Idiazábal cheese
- 4 quails eggs
- olive oil
- Slice the onions finely and sweat in a bit of olive oil. Cook covered until they are melting and soft, golden brown, and beginning to caramelise. Add a tablespoon of stock every now and then if needed.
- Toast the bread in the oven.
- When the onions are soft, cover them with the stock. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the bread in small pieces. Add the thyme and infuse for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the thyme, blend and check the seasoning.
- For the cheese biscuits, grate the cheese and place some mounds of cheese onto a lined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and cook until crispy.
- To poach the eggs, bring a liter of salty water to a boil, add a splash of vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
- Crack the eggs using a small paring knife and put them all in a bowl.
- Once you have them ready, turn the heat off and stir the water to form a swirl. Add the eggs carefully and take them out when you see the white is cooked (it will take about a minute). Place them on paper towel.
- Blend the soup together with the bread until you get a good consistency.
- Finally, put three eggs in a soup plate, cover with the soup, drizzle with olive oil and finish with some thyme leaves, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a crispy Idiazábal tuile.
Join us to learn how to cook a delicious thyme soup!